Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Erin's Review of Across the Universe, by Beth Revis

My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one  who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Holy Frexing Frex!!

I was wary about reading Across the Universe for the simple fact that it is a science fiction novel and I have never gotten past the first 50 pages in one.  This just proves that you shouldn’t say you don’t like something until you try it.  In few words, this book is simply fantastic.

Normally, I find science fiction difficult to follow. This book I just didn’t want to put down. The author is not overly descriptive, but does a great job at making you visualize the scenes, it almost plays like a movie in your head. I loved how she told the story from two different viewpoints. The story becomes a lot more in depth when coming from different angles.

It starts off very interesting with the process of freezing a body to be able to reanimate it at a later time…it is pretty frexing scary if I do say so myself!  I now know that I would never want to be cryogenically frozen.  


After the explanation of how they are frozen the story comes to a bit of a lull…but only for a very short period of time. As soon as the story picks up again, I assure you that you will not be able to put it down. The character development is strong, I feel as if I have a personal connection to the main characters. The author brings you on a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the entire novel.

I would love to see this book be turned into a movie, there is so much that could be done with this.  It would be amazing to see the environment and habitat come to life the way Revis describes it in the book. 

I would highly recommend this book to everybody. If it could captivate me - it could captivate you too!
 This book was continued into a second called 'A Million Suns'.  Stay tuned to our blog for a review on 'A Million Suns' coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...