Monday, April 23, 2012

Erin's Review of Shades of Grey, by Michael Cargill



                             

My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

John is not a very nice man. He works for the government. So who has tied him to a chair and what do they want? James is a British soldier during WWII. Tom is a young boy with a terrible secret

Three stories. Three very different people. All of them battling to survive.

All I can say is WOW!  Now, I am not one to read short stories because I get too invested in the characters and don’t want it to end but the author, Michael Cargill, told them with such emotion. I laughed, I cried, got angry, and was sad…all what one looks for in a good book.

The first story starts off with a bang! The way the Cargill wrote the story is quite emotionally overwhelming at times, but for such a heavy story he had me in awe. The constant flash backs from John's life before being captured makes the story well rounded. It is not one you'll want to put down!

The second story in this collection was so detailed it made me tear up. I felt as if I was a part of this story. The war torn streets, the brutal screams as bodies were being torn apart, the description of the rumbling sounds of the fighter planes. I loved every word of this short story! Cargill actually made me wonder whether he writes from experience. 

If you enjoy books on war, you have to read the first two stories!!


The third story was my personal favourite! It's about a little boy who has a father that abuses him.  The father in this story made me SO ANGRY!   It was a sad story at first, but then things started to turn around and I found myself laughing.  Not to give away anything but this is the vision the story left me with….




It was a well written, keep you on the edge of your seat short story. 

I loved all three of these stories! My only complaint is that they were short stories and I wanted more!! Michael Cargill is an amazing author...captivates you with every word!

I highly recommend this collection of short stories to everyone!

**Stay tuned within the next few weeks for an author spotlight and interview with Michael Cargill!!!**

2 comments:

  1. You two beautiful ladies have overwhelmed me emotionally with your kind words.

    *bottom lip trembles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You earned it!!

      I am going to be sending you the questions today.

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...