Monday, April 23, 2012

Lily's Review of Cinder, by Marissa Meyer





My rating:
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing  

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. "


** Update **

Hey how come no one told me that I used the wrong Disney princess pic for my review... Geeez how embarrassing! LOL Thank you Gaby for pointing that out!  


Cinder.. A Cyborg Cinderella?

Ya kinda. There is Cinder, the adopted daughter who is made to toil and work like a slave, and evil stepmother, evil stepsister (one sister that is more sympathetic to her as well), and of course, a handsome prince.

But this book was also very reminiscent of Anastasia as well with a little Star Wars.

The concept of a futuristic Cinderella story did not deter me much; I am quite open to read anything and see for myself, though some of the reviews did give me pause. But not for long, and glad it didn't.

The world building and character development in this story was pretty exemplary. I didn't lose my way through a too futuristic world that I would have a hard time having a concept of. In fact, it was pretty clear to me what it all looked like, and what was going on. The author, though, didn't spend too much time on explaining a complex world, because it really was not that complex. The development of the characters and plot were the focus, and was done well. I immediately sympathized with Cinder and her different plights; she had it rough. Not to mention, not having any memory of your life prior to 11 years of age? But she was still a kind, non-complaining, strong but humble female character that was appealing.

No ending tied in a bow here. The author definitely left it wide open for a continuation. My only complaint is having to wait for the next part of the series so I can find out if there is a Happy Cinderella Ending after all...



So... will they? Hard to tell, but I will definitely be waiting in line to find out.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book. It sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...