Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lily's Review of Sunset, by Arshad Ahsanuddin

My rating:  
didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing

Synopsis:

Los Angeles, 2040. The terrorist Medusa and her followers threaten to destroy the metropolis with a nuclear bomb. One individual, the vampire Nicholas Jameson, comes forward to oppose them. As Nick takes on the terrorists, the fragile peace between the races hangs perilously in the balance as the supernatural peoples are exposed.

With millennia-old magic, emerging romance, and ever-shifting allegiances, this inventive new series unveils a scintillating, homoerotic world of Nightwalkers, Daywalkers, Sentinels, and Humans, who battle for world dominance in the not-too-distant future


My thoughts:

Very intelligent and intricate read. This was a well written futuristic novel about Nightwalker vampires, Daywalker vampires, and Sentinel races, and the aftermath resulting in their exposure to the human world, after millennia of walking around virtually undetected. This was also the emotional story of ‘Daywalker’ Nick and his struggles with his very human like relationships.

This book opens with a terrorist plot that goes wrong. It was effective, action packed, and had my attention from the first page. It introduces all the race players effectively, and some of the main characters of this novel.

The author did a really good job at world building, though the inner ‘governing’ structures of all the races did get to be confusing at times. All the houses and masters, and their individual titles were a lot to take in, but you quickly figure out the gist of it, and who the main players are. That being said, when minor characters were introduced or when all these players came together en masse, I was a little confused.

Frankly, what surprises me the most about this novel is how this author kept me so interested, even though most of the time I was trying to grasp the world he built. Maybe it was that the character development was so well done, that the inter-personal relationships and love triangles or (square as one other reader put it?) were so intriguing, gut wrenching and full of emotion, that I had a difficult time putting this book down, even though I struggled through some elements of this story.


In acknowledgment of the ‘elephant in the room’ - Though I am a very open minded, accepting individual of people’s sexual orientations, I have to, on a side note, acknowledge and commend the author for his eloquent writing and development of the gay relationships in this novel. Though I am heterosexual, and reading about male gay relationships may seem outside the comfort zone, I was not uncomfortable in any way. I was able to empathize with Nick’s emotions and upheavals; they were really no different than the emotional rollercoaster of feelings between men and women, so it did not distract from the plot line, and it wasn’t a point of focus for me in any sort of negative way. It was very contrary to that; I was very emotionally invested in the main character, because I could relate to his feelings, and understood them.

This was, however, outside of my comfort zone in terms of the “Sci-Fi” portion of the book. Though I was fine with the AI technology, I really don’t do well with many Sci-Fi books because I am a visual reader… and if I have a hard time visualizing parts of the book, I lose my ‘link’ to it. Some of the technologies were a little hard to visually grasp. I found the introduction of the space shuttles/ships and mentions of off Planet bases to not be relevant to the story line in this book, and left me confused… again… but it may serve its purpose in upcoming installments.

Very interesting novel, and I enjoyed it. I will definitely be keeping this author in mind, and very open to continue this series.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the cover!!!!! - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's rosa thanks for following I love ur blog btw. I made sure to follow back!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...