Thursday, June 28, 2012

Erin's Review of Girl in the Glass, by Zoe Brooks

“I will have to say it: 'I am Anya and I am nothing'. I will look down at the floor as I say it, so that I don't see the smile on my aunt's face, so she won't see the defiance in my eyes. She will get her victory. She always wins these battles. I know it, she knows it. But one day, one day she will not.”
Orphaned at the age of 10 in circumstances that she refuses to explain, Anya grows up trapped in the house of her abusive aunt where she and Eva, her Shadow, are treated as slaves. As her aunt tries to break her and the punishments become increasingly life-threatening, Anya struggles to find affection and self-esteem. When the inevitable showdown arrives, where will Anya find the strength to survive and escape? And if she does escape, what then?



….Wow! 
This is the first book I have reviewed that deserves more than a 5 star.  I give this book a 6 star rating!!!

I have never been able to start a review like this.  This is a phenomenal story told absolutely beautifully…and the cover is stunning!
This book has quickly become one of my all time favourite books!!!
Do you remember back when you were in high school, in English class how they made you read a book that they thought had a ‘powerful story’? That dreaded English teacher made you write an essay on it (or a book report)…how those books were usually pretty dull and boring?  This would make a perfect book for that!  Only, it would be enticing, and would make you actually want to do well on your essay. As I was reading it I kept thinking to myself how if I had novels like this one to read in high school, I would have ended up with a much higher grade!
It has all of the elements that an awesome novel should have…good character development, good flow, good grammar and spelling, it has an amazing plot line with many climaxes.  I could honestly say this book had me from beginning to end.  I just didn’t want to finish reading it.
The characters we so well developed that I found myself actually feeling Anya’s pain, her anger, her innocence and her strength.  Even though I have never been through any of the hardships that she has endured I felt such a strong connection to her and her shadow. (What is a shadow anyways?  I am still wondering that!)  I felt an overwhelming sense of protection towards Anya.   I really wanted to be able to step in and save her.  Stop her awful aunt and all the other horrible people that were hurting her. 
This book brought out a ton of emotion from anger, fear, sadness and even excitement.  I just couldn’t put it down!

I strongly urge you to buy this novel…you will finish it in no time and it will be one that impacts your life. 
The best part is that there are still two more books to read afterwards!!!

1 comment:

  1. sounds really interesting thanks for sharing it will be added to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...