Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lily's Review of Beneath the Shadows, by Sara Foster


Beneath the Shadows

In this thrilling gothic suspense debut by Sara Foster in the tradition of Rosamund Lupton and Sophie Hannah, a young mother searches Yorkshire's windswept moors for the truth behind her husband's mysterious disappearance.

THE ANSWERS ARE HIDING BENEATH THE SHADOWS

"A haunting tale of loss and one woman's search for the truth no matter the consequences. This vividly written novel will leave you breathless and as chilled as the starkly beautiful North Yorkshire moors where this compelling story unfolds.” –Heather Gudenkauf, New York Times bestselling author of These Things Hidden

Published June 5th 2012 by Minotaur Books
(first published February 1st 2011)  

Lily's Rating:  didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Review: 

I am a fan of gothic horror/suspense, so choosing this novel was a no brainer.  After reading a few YA novels in a row (but really really good ones!), I was in need of this read.  

It wasn't as gothic as I would have liked. It wasn't as paranormal as I was expecting. But it was as suspenseful and haunting as it promised. I was so hooked that I am surprised I didn't read this through the night.

What I really loved about this novel was that the characters were intricately developed. I could picture each one, and felt like I knew them intimately. Even Adam, Grace's missing husband, is so explored that he became real to me. 

And the plot? Well... how can I describe it.... It was like putting together a meal in a crock pot. It smells more delicious every hour that passes. The novel's pace felt very mellow, but the author was fantastic at keeping me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The suspense was steady from beginning to end, never dissipating completely; always something happening to keep you intrigued to the very end. 





Read an Excerpt from the Book HERE.


Purchase Links:

About the Author:

Sara   FosterSara Foster is the bestselling author of two psychological suspense novels, COME BACK TO ME and BENEATH THE SHADOWS. Born and raised in the UK, she worked for a time in the HarperCollins fiction department in London, before turning her hand to freelance editing, and writing in her spare time.

For more on Sara Foster:
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...