Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lily's Review of Frost Arch (The Fire Mage Trilogy #1), by Kate Bloomfield


Frost Arch (The Fire Mage Trilogy, #1)


In a future where ignorance has destroyed the world that we know, humans are slaves and Mages - advanced beings with abilities beyond everyday reach - rule the land.

Avalon Redding is one such Mage. Barely eighteen years of age, she wields the gift of fire yet she is unable to control it. She leaves her family in the dead of night and heads to the city of Frost Arch, her future seemingly grim.

Will Avalon be able to overcome the trials that befall her? Will she be able to save the ones she loves and stay strong within herself?

Time will tell.


Kindle Edition, 381 pages
Published February 8th 2012

Lily's Rating:didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Review:

I grabbed this book for review almost instantly after seeing the notification on the AWESOME book group on Goodreads, Shup Up & Read, solely because I had a cover orgasm. I LOVE THIS COVER!

I did briefly review the synopsis and thought I would enjoy this novel. But after reading some very mixed reviews, I crossed my fingers that I was not going to struggle through this novel.

AND I LOVED IT!

Yes, this book needs a good editing once over. There are all kinds of small little errors that at times could be distracting, but I was so into the story and the characters of this book that they really didn't bother me enough not to continue to devour it!

Avalon is naive, too trusting, innocent and sometimes annoyingly accident prone. She is whinny at times, and temperamental when she shouldn't be... but she is also an 18 year old. And one that was relatively secluded from her peers by her family, since she had a hard time controlling her powers. Not to say that I am stereotyping, but considering her situation, I didn't get very annoyed with some of the decisions that she made. I understood why she made them, whether out of sheer curiosity, misplaced trust, etc.

She runs away into the big city of Frost Arch. She gets a job working in a manor lighting fires and warming up baths with her power, and gets into a ridiculous amount of mischief. She is a curious girl, and it gets her into trouble. She has a full bodied personality, and she is weak and she is strong. She is real and I enjoyed her character. I shook my head over some of the crap she got herself into. I cheered her on when she grabbed a hold of her power when she needed it the most. I was scared for her when she was overtaken by one of her masters, and hoped she would be rescued before the unthinkable happened! She was believable to me as a character and I cared for her.

I LOVED Hawthorne! Who wouldn't love him? This beautiful flying fox, who is an absolute anomaly, but as faithful and loyal as a dog companion (with perks such as ferocity, flight, etc). I loved that both Hawthorne and Ava were connected as deeply as they were by the bonds of their love for each other.

Jack was one of Ava's first friends in Frost Arch. And I am happy to know that I am not alone in saying that he really reminded me of Puck from the Iron Fey Series. Both Jack and Ava develop a very deep friendship which had me thinking that at any moment it will turn into romance... and I think by the end, I saw some not so subtle hints that it may. I was a little disappointed that it didn't turn romantic in this book, because Jack is just so endearing and a complete knight in shining armor with a heart of gold.

I am really looking forward to reading more of the series, and promptly picked up a prequel on Jack's character which is availabe on Smashwords. If you are interested in getting a feel for the series pick up Jack Greenwood at Smashwords and give it a try.


*I received a eBook copy of this book for free to review from the author; this in no way influenced my review, all opinions are 100% honest and my own.*


Purchase Links:

About the Author:
(pic & bio from Goodreads.com)

Kate BloomfieldIndie-Author and tea enthusiast Kate Bloomfield was born in Enfield, London in 1989, but has lived in Wollongong, Australia for most of her life. Kate wanted to be a writer from a very young age, finishing her first poorly-written novella at fourteen. It now remains hidden on a dusty hard-drive at the bottom of her closet.

After completing high school (2006), Kate studied Graphic Design at TAFE, limiting her writing to weekends. Finally, in 2010 her debut novel 'Frost Arch' (book 1 of the Fire Mage trilogy) was complete, though it was another two years before Kate had the courage to self-publish the novel.

In between writing 'The Fire Mage Trilogy', Kate also dabbles in the odd historical romance, publishing 'Passing as Elias' in March 2012.

Kate now works as a full-time Graphic Designer, whilst writing, and getting tattoos in her free time. It is her life-long dream to be a full-time author.

Follow Kate on Twitter: @KateBloomfield

Like the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fi...

Check out Kate's blog for updates on her writing: www.katebloomfieldauthor.blogspot.com.au(less)



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...