Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lily's Review of Monster in My Closet, by R.L. Naquin


Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)

I stopped believing in monsters long ago. But I knew I wasn’t imagining things when I found one in my kitchen baking muffins. I’d seen him before: lurking in my closet, scaring the crap out of my five-year-old self. Turns out that was a misunderstanding, and now Maurice needs a place to stay. How could I say no?

After all, I’ve always been a magnet for the emotionally needy, and not just in my work as a wedding planner. Being able to sense the feelings of others can be a major pain. Don’t get me wrong, I like helping people—and non-people. But this ability has turned me into a gourmet feast for an incubus, a demon that feeds off emotional energy. Now, brides are dropping dead all over town, and my home has become a safe house for the supernatural. I must learn to focus my powers and defeat the demon before he snacks on another innocent woman and comes looking for the main course.

Published July 30th 2012 by Carina Press
 
Lily's Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing
 
Review:
 
This was SUCH a fun read. I didn't really know how the author was going to play out this 'monster in my closet is baking me muffins' idea, but she took my doubts, twisted them around, turned them upside down and showed me that it was INDEED possible to make me love this.
 
Not that I went in thinking I wouldn't. But I admit I was a tiny bit skeptical, though extremelly curious about this story.
 
I didn't have a closet monster, but I had a 'Under the Bed Monster' as a kid. Unfortunately for me, I am not so lucky to go home and find IT baking me anything... : ( boo hoo hoo  I would love one of those!
 
Zoey is a great character. Very eccentric in the way that she dresses, she comes across off the bat, as someone who does not follow the crowd. She is very likeable, and the way she handled the way her life turned into the Twilight Zone overnight (literally), was pretty funny and entertaining. But essentially, she is just another normal girl with a few hidden talents that work well for her and her choice of career, who longs for love and some peace and quiet once in a while like all the rest of us. Unfortunately, a killer is thrown into the mix, and she is dragged into this mystery, especially when she realizes that the brides dropping dead are all connected to her!
 
There wasn't a single supernatural character that I did not enjoy. Of course, the villain of this whole mess was not very likeable, but he is the villain after all. We don't want to like him. And he certainly gave me the creeps. But all the other characters that started showing up after Maurice made his big entrance in Zoey's kitchen were just as interesting or as lovable as Maurice himself, and I enjoyed reading about them all.
 
And in regards to the hunky 'paramedic'.  I don't care what you really do for a living. My heart went pitter-patter for you. (sigh)
 
This was a great paranormal thriller, with lots of little comedic moments, a few emotional spots and heart warming scenes, and a little romance thrown in for good measure. I was entertained from the very beginning and had a hard time putting this book down.  I can't wait to continue the series!
 
 
This novel was kindly provided by the publisher/author via
 
 
 
Purchase Links:
 
 
About the Author:
(pic & bio from Goodreads)
 
Image of R. L. NaquinRachel is the author of Monster in My Closet, an urban fantasy from Carina Press. She believes in magic, the power of love, good cheese, lucky socks, and putting things off until stress gets them done faster at the last minute. Her home is Disneyland, despite her current location in Kansas.

 
Facebook Page

Website

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds like a fantastic novel! I love dark, quirky plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in TNJ! :)
      I would recommend this one for sure. It was a lot of fun. Had a little bit of everything.

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...