Sunday, March 24, 2013

Grimm Diaries Sunday - Review of Beauty Never Dies, by Cameron Jace


Last year I jumped on The Grimm Diaries bandwagon. Meaning, the author had a slew of promotional dates where he was offering the novellas for free on Amazon. The covers are stunning, and I am a sucker for fairytale retellings. Unfortunately it has taken me until the beginning of this year to start reading them, so over the course of the next few weeks, I will be featuring the reviews for this mini series on Sundays until I am all caught up!

Today I am reviewing the third installment of this series. Check out last week's review of  Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder.



Title: Beauty Never Dies
Series: The Grimm Diaries #3
Author: Cameron Jace
Publisher: Author
Release Date: June 20, 2012
Source: Author
Purchase: Amazon

Add to Goodreads
Book Description: What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Peter Pan has a plan. Since it's been hundred years since his friends were all cursed by the Brothers Grimm, he is about to wake up Sleeping Beauty, his eternal lover. Oops, you didn't know that. Blame it on the Grimms.

But in the middle of the ceremony, he is visited by the Evil Queen who manipulates him into helping her with information about Snow White. This or she will expose him as he has been secretly kidnapping kids to help him rebuild Neverland in the Dreamworld.

After the deal is made, Peter continues with the ceremony, bringing Sleeping Beauty back into life. What Sleeping Beauty is capable of and who she really is are like nothing ever written in the books.

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.



I have been struggling with the series so far because of editing issues, but was pleased when they were very minimal in this third installment. 




But I was totally thrown off. Because in this one, Peter Pan makes a big appearance. And not only is he the focus of this novella, he is also trying to wake Sleeping Beauty, who was his lover. 

Initially I thought... no, I can't do this. Introducing 'non-Grimm' characters? It's going to be a stretch for me. Not to mention, the introduction of Count Dracula, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame.   

Surprisingly, I actually ended up liking this character mish mash. Though there was a lot of cheesy comedic dialogue, for some unknown reason, it kind of worked for me. 

I am still struggling with the Evil Queen's dialogue. Specifically all the 'whatevas' she throws out. It doesn't fit. Not believable. 

Though still not enamored with this series, I am feeling optimistic. So on to the next installment 'Ladle Rat Rotten Hut', which will be reviewed next Sunday.



   


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...