Sunday, March 10, 2013

Grimm Diaries Sunday - Review of Snow White Blood Red, by Cameron Jace


Last year I jumped on The Grimm Diaries bandwagon. Meaning, the author had a slew of promotional dates where he was offering the novellas for free on Amazon. The covers are stunning, and I am a sucker for fairytale retellings. Unfortunately it has taken me until the beginning of this year to start reading them, so over the course of the next few weeks, I will be featuring the reviews for this mini series on Sundays until I am all caught up!


Title: Snow White Blood Red
Series: The Grimm Diaries
Author: Cameron Jace
Publisher: Author
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Source: Author
Purchase: Amazon


Add to Goodreads
Book Description: What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by the Snow White Queen:

'I have always wondered why you never asked about my name. Was I so superficial to you? So stereotypical and mundane? Why did you treat me as if I were just the monster of the week? You know what I think? You never had the time to really hate me. You wanted to hate me, long before you even met me. You wanted to scrape my existence and avenge your childhood princess by laying all blame on me. What if they didn’t call me the Evil Queen, what if I told you the real story from my point of view instead of hers, would you ever think of me as an angel? Could I ever make you care? I know that deep inside of you, you adore me,but you’re just scared, afraid to admit how much you love the Snow White Queen.'

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.


This was more of a 2.5 star rating for me, but I usually round off my stars to keep it simple.  Let me tell you why I feel it's a 2.5 star rating.

Author's Note: As of 09/11/2012 the novella has been edited. Grammatical errors only exist in older versions.

This is a huge reason. 

Though an updated version was available, and I did download it and had my Kindle on to take the update, when I finally picked up the book, my version was in fact still riddled with grammatical AND spelling errors. Whether the update took or not, it doesn't really matter in my mind, as the book was still being offered for sale prior to the update.

Prepare yourselves for a rant.


I am not one of those reviewers that sees a couple of errors and goes apeshit. That being said, if it's reoccurring to the point of distraction and frustration, then I am really bothered. The bottom line is this... Though I got the read free for the purpose of review, I still approach the book as if it had been a purchase. And had I purchased the 'earlier' version, I would have been extremely ticked off. Because the majority if not all of the errors I encountered could have been obliterated by a simple run of the trusty spell check feature on any word processing software. And it irks me to think that this story was released without the courtesy of an edit in the first place.

I ended up deleting the files of the following installments of the series from my Kindle, and downloading the other books again hoping that the 'new versions' will stick. Because I don't want to repeat the same reading experience in the following novellas.

Moving on!

Cover art is stunning. (Wish that much attention had gone into the finished product in the first place... but I am regressing here. Sorry!) Beautiful and visually stimulating, I honestly wouldn't have had to read the blurb to want this. 

The storyline is undeniably interesting, if somewhat confusing in the beginning. There was a lot of explanation in regards to the parameters of this world. But for that I am grateful as things could get really convoluted if not explained properly. But the plot does become focus quickly. And what is this story about? Well, let's just say that everything you thought you knew about Snow White is blown right out of the water, as told by the 'evil mommy' the Snow Queen.  It becomes quite apparent that the Snow Queen really got the shaft in the original version of the fairy tale, if you believe her side of the tale.

I enjoyed looking at the story through the Snow Queen's eyes. It becomes quite apparent that this is not a standalone novel, and that the story of Snow White continues on in the books following. 

It has a modern spin that is intriguing, yet slightly unbelievable. I am not sure that I buy into the Snow Queen eye rolling and her 'Whatevah' retorts. She is still a refined and regal figure in my mind. But you know what? I want to see where this goes.  I am still intrigued. 




About the Author: Wonderlander, Neverlander, Unicorn-chaser, enchanter, musician, survived a coma, & totally awesome. Sometimes I tell stories. Always luv the little monsters      I write young adult paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and science fiction mostly. The Grimm Diaries series is a seven book saga that deals with retellings of fairy tales from a young adult POV - it connects most of the fairy tales together and claims to be the truth about fairy tales.      I live in San Fransisco and seriously think circles are way cooler than triangles.
Website | Facebook | Twitter| Goodreads |

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...