Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ARC Review of Echo, by Alicia Wright Brewster



Title: Echo
Author: Alicia Wright Brewster
Publisher: Dragonfairy Press
Release Date: April 25, 2013
Source: Publisher
Purchase: Amazon/Barnes & Noble/The Book Depository

Add to Goodreads
The countdown clock reads ten days until the end of the world. The citizens are organized. Everyone's been notified and assigned a duty. The problem is . . . no one knows for sure how it will end.

Energy-hungry Mages are the most likely culprit. They travel toward a single location from every corner of the continent. Fueled by the two suns, each Mage holds the power of an element: air, earth, fire, metal, water, or ether. They harness their powers to draw energy from the most readily available resource: humans.

Ashara has been assigned to the Ethereal task force, made up of human ether manipulators and directed by Loken, a young man with whom she has a complicated past. Loken and Ashara bond over a common goal: to stop the Mages from occupying their home and gaining more energy than they can contain. But soon, they begin to suspect that the future of the world may depend on Ashara's death.



Some time ago, I read one of Alicia's novellas, 'Don't Call Me Angel', which I really enjoyed. It was very fantasy, one of my favorite genres to explore. 

Without hesitation, I asked for 'Echo', and as I began to read it I began to understand that this story seemed to have some sci fi elements, and I began to panic a little bit.  I really hoped I was going to get the writer's vision so I could really get into the story.

Nervous!!! (Pic Source)

I am sure the 4 star rating above gives it away. I really liked this story, and I 'got it'.  Yes it was intricate, and complicated world building, but the writer was successful at shaping this visually for me. Even with the complication of going back in time to change the future, reminiscent of the concept of 'butterfly effect', I was able to follow it through and understand it. 

The female lead was awesome! I love to read about characters minding their own business, living regular lives, that all of a sudden realize they are, pretty much, super heroes with powers that they don't understand, and others fear.  


Scary & Awesome!! (Pic Source)
 
Though the world building was the most interesting factor for me, the characters were a definite second as they were all different, with interesting background stories. I shed a couple of tears in this book. The romance developing between Ash and Loken kept me in much anticipation for a kiss (or more) and I danced around happily when THAT finally happened. 

At less that 300 pages, this story felt like 600. And I say that as a compliment. I was so deep into this story that I felt like I knew these characters too well for only 300 pages??! So Kudos to the Author for sucking me into the world and characters of 'Echo' as well as she did. 

And I have to mention. Wrapping up the ending so that it feels like a complete story, with the hint that there may be more to come, should the Author choose to, is a bonus.  Because having to wait a year or more for the next book after an intense cliffhanger sucks balls.




*I received a eBook copy of this book for free to review from the author/publisher; this in no way influenced my review, all opinions are 100% honest and my own.*





About the Author: Alicia Wright Brewster is a mild-mannered lady of average height and above average paranormal obsession. By day, she works in an office. At night she is an author, an electronics junkie, and a secret superhero. (Please don't ask what her superpower is; that's not very polite.)

In her virtually non-existent free time, she loves to read, watch movies, and eat food. She is particularly fond of the food-eating and makes a point to perform this task at least three times per day, usually more. You can connect with Alicia on Goodreads/Website/Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...