Sunday, April 7, 2013

Grimm Diaries Sunday - Review of Mary Mary Quite Contrary, by Cameron Jace


 
Last year I jumped on The Grimm Diaries bandwagon. Meaning, the author had a slew of promotional dates where he was offering the novellas for free on Amazon. The covers are stunning, and I am a sucker for fairytale retellings. Unfortunately it has taken me until the beginning of this year to start reading them, so over the course of the past few weeks, I have been featuring reviews for each installment. 
 
 Check out last week's review of  Ladle Rat Rotten Hut.



Title: Mary Mary Quite Contrary
Series: The Grimm Diaries Prequels #5
Author: Cameron Jace
Publisher: Author
Release Date: Sept. 13, 2012
Source: Amazon - Free promotion
Purchase: Amazon


Add to Goodreads
Book Description: What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?


The Devil's take on fairy tales, exposing the origins of some of the most important, yet never explained, elements in the fairy world. Darker things the Brothers Grimm didn't want you to know about. More hints would just spoil the fun.

Let's just say that at some point in the Dreamworld even the devil was about so sell his soul.
This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.





After finally really enjoying one of these prequels, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, this installment was a major disappointment. 

The editing is no longer a cause of frustration. But the story itself was.

It was mostly told, not shown. So I couldn't really connect with any of these characters. They were all kept at a distance, and even though this was the darkest of the prequels, I could have cared less about finishing this one, even though it was only about 29 pages. 

I once again struggled with the dialogue. I just couldn't connect it with the characters. Here is an example:


“How come I don’t know about that stuff? I am freakin’ Lucifer.”

“Because you spent your time hatin’ not participatin’” Rumpelstiltskin said. *

(sigh)


 
No.... Just No.....

Unfortunately, this is very likely the last review I will write on the Grimm series, because it is very likely the last one I will read. 
 
I sincerely thank the author for his generosity in extending the free promotional news my way.
Though I recognize the originality, the execution of it is just not calling out to me to continue any further. 
 
It is time for me to move on.



* Jace, Cameron (2012-09-13). Mary Mary Quite Contrary ( A Grimm Diaries Prequel #5 ) (Kindle Locations 416-418).  . Kindle Edition.


About the Author: Wonderlander, Neverlander, Unicorn-chaser, enchanter, musician, survived a coma, & totally awesome. Sometimes I tell stories. Always luv the little monsters      I write young adult paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and science fiction mostly. The Grimm Diaries series is a seven book saga that deals with retellings of fairy tales from a young adult POV - it connects most of the fairy tales together and claims to be the truth about fairy tales.      I live in San Fransisco and seriously think circles are way cooler than triangles.
Website | Facebook | Twitter| Goodreads |

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...