Friday, May 17, 2013

ARC Review of The Sea of Tranquility, by Katja Millay


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Title: The Sea of Tranquility
Author: Katja Millay
Publisher: Atria Books
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Source:  Netgalley
Purchase: Amazon /Barnes&Noble / The Book Depository

Add to Goodreads
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.



Hey guys!

Feel like reading a book that will just rip your heart out?





This book will do it.

Easily one of my favorite and most touching novels of the year so far, this story takes you on the personal journey of two very emotionally damaged people that find hope in each other.  Though I finished reading it in February, I just can't stop thinking about it.

Nastya obviously went through something quite traumatic in her past. She clearly does everything she can to push people away from her; make them thing things of her that are not truthful.  Nastya does this purposely to keep everyone at arm's length.

Josh tries to make himself a ghost within the crowds in his high-school's walls. He hides his face in the shadows of his hoodie.  He builds an impenetrable wall around himself that no one thinks to penetrate.

Except for Nastya.  

Josh gives her pause. She is curious about him. Maybe she sees the same loneliness she feels in herself. She is attracted to his darkness, like a moth would be to the light of a flame.

A complicated and cautious friendship develops between them.  And with each interaction, they both realize they need each other. A flutter of hope begins to unravel in each of their hearts - to dream, to hope that they will both feel normal again.


A phenomenal debut that will undoubtedly touch your heart and soul way after you finish the last page, and read the last piercing sentence that made me weep.  Even while writing this review, and remembering this story, I have tears in my eyes.  This will be a novel that I will be sure to reread in the future. Probably more than once.

If you have not read it, I highly recommend it.  If you want to win a copy, this story is one of the picks we chose for one of our giveaways that ends on May 30th. Click on this link to be taken to it for a chance to win this unforgettable novel.


About the Author: I grew up in Florida where I spent my time hiding from the sun. Then I moved to NYC where I attended film school at NYU and spent my time hiding from the rats. I was a high school film production/screenwriting teacher in a former life and now I sit at my kitchen table writing stories and ignoring the frightening mountain of laundry threatening to overtake my home. The Sea of Tranquility is my first novel.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Eeep, I have this book for review and cannot wait to sink my teeth into it and ooh David Tennant *swoons* If its worthy of the Doctor its going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps Kimba, sorry that we didn't respond to you in real time! Hope you love(d) it. Not sure if you got to it yet but I will have to keep an eye out for the review.

      Lily

      Delete
  2. I guess I've been living under a rock, because I haven't seem much about this! But it looks fantastic, and it appears to live up to all the hype! Glad you liked it, I'll definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got a 5 star from me, and those don't happen often. It has had a lot of good reviews, so it's definitely worth a look!

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...