Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ittie Bitties! - Short Story Reviews







Title: The Vampire Hunter's Daughter
Author: Jennifer Malone Wright
Publisher: Independent
Release Date: August 10, 2011
Source: Amazon
Purchase: Amazon*
* was showing free on June 2, 2013

Add to Goodreads
Fourteen-year-old Chloe witnesses her mother’s murder at the hands of a vampire. Before the vampire can kidnap her, there is an unexpected rescue by a group of vampire hunters. Overwhelmed by the feeling of safety, Chloe passes out and they whisk her away to their small community.

When Chloe wakes, she comes face to face with the only other living relative, besides her mother, whom she has ever met: her grandfather. Chloe’s mother kept her hidden from the family; now, Chloe tries to unveil the family secrets.

Through her grandfather, she learns her mother was a vampire hunter. In fact, her entire family is descended from the powerful bloodlines of vampire hunters. Chloe agrees to join the family she has never known for one reason only: Chloe vows to kill the vampire responsible for her mother’s murder.

With vengeance in her soul, Chloe is even more determined to follow through on her vow when she discovers the true identity of her enemy and how he is connected to her.

The Vampire Hunter's Daughter is the first in a series of short stories by Jennifer Malone Wright.



This short story was available for free on Amazon, and since I am a vampire story fan, I downloaded this onto my Kindle. I finally took a stab at it during a cottage weekend as I was looking for a short story to read.

This one is pretty short (about 20 pages), and though it was interesting, it read like the first few chapters of a novel, as opposed to a stand alone short story.  Which I am not really sure I like or not. But regardless of my mixed feelings on how this read, the plot was interesting enough for me to finish it. 

That being said, I also felt like the plot was a bit rushed, with little character development. I didn't find myself very invested in Chloe as a character, nor am I particularly interested enough to continue the series of short stories that make up this series. Though I have read enough short stories to know how difficult it is to grab a hold of a reader with such limited page time, I have also read some that really blew me away.  This was not one of the stories that blew me away, but there was enough action to keep me going to the end.

Since it may still be free, I would encourage readers to check it out. You don't lose anything but a little bit of time, if you enjoy this genre. At least you can determine for yourself if you are curious enough to continue.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...