Monday, June 24, 2013

Shadowed Soul, by John M. Spagnoli

Shadowed Soul
Paperback, 280 Pages
Published February 9th 2013 by CreateSpace
Shadowed Soul by John M. Spagnoli is a novel about bi-polar Thomas Milton, as he struggles to rebuild his life with the aid of his blind wife’s seeing-eye dog, Bailey.  The compelling drama follows Thomas and his wife, Beth, as they embrace the birth of their firstborn through the holiday season in New York City. Fears and anxieties that plague Thomas are personified in the form of the Shadowed Soul a demonic specter who stalks the protagonist’s every move.  As his manic-depression escalates, his expectation for more problems is answered in abundance.  His life goes from great to bad to worse.  With the unconditional love of watchful Bailey, Thomas grapples with seemingly insurmountable challenges as he chooses to rebuild his shattered life

I received this book from the publishing company for an honest review.

When I read the synopsis to this book I thought 'this is a must read'!  Right up my alley.  I thought I would love it.  Did I?  Nope.  Was it a waste of time? Absolutely not!  I liked it!  It just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.  In all honestly when I was reading this book I was rating it at a 2 star...until something clicked...and the light turned on....


I loved the characters, especially Thomas and the bond he shared with Bailey.  I love dogs and their unconditional love.  They truly are man's best friend.  This bond shared between the protagonist and his wife's seeing eye dog was a feel good moment in the story.  I couldn't help but think of my own dog.

The idea of the 'shadowed soul' amazed me.   Though this aspect of the book brought some irritations up.  I loved that Thomas' anxiety and fears were given a character in the story.  Such an awesome idea!  Draw back was that I found the shadowed soul SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying. He just kept popping up, never with a positive thing to say.  Than I clued in....

  
DUHHHH.....he was meant to be annoying!  The point of the story was to make readers aware of what people who suffer from severe depression go through daily.  This changed my rating instantly.  What an awesome way to make someone who has no idea what it is like living with depression relate to someone who suffers with it on a day to day bases. 

I think this book would be a great read for someone (definitely an adult due to explicit content) who has a loved one suffering from depression to get a glimpse of what they may be feeling.  It truly would bring a new level of compassion to a relationship.



John M. Spagnoli is the author of Shadowed Soul and How to Grow Worsleya Seeds Avid gardener, poet, husband and father, he hales from Metropolitan New York and is currently working on a Masters from Mercy College and holds a B.A. in Anthropology from State University of New York, New Paltz.  As a successful, self-managing, bi-polar gentleman the author found solutions that have enabled him to form strategies toward leading a joyful life which he has chosen to share in Shadowed Soul.  Dedicated to raising awareness about depression, Shadowed Soul is the first in a fictionalized series that includes researched cases of manic-depressives who beat it, as well as some of the author’s personal experiences.

Purchase Shadowed Soul on Amazon today! 

2 comments:

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...