Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review Quickies!


Earlier this year I became a reading ninja! I digested one novel after the other, faster than I could review them. But I don't want these books to go forgotten, so I decided to do some quick reviews for the following two novels and catch up on my review list.


Title: Thorn Abbey
Author: Nancy Ohlin
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Source: Publisher
Purchase: Amazon/The Book Depository

Add to Goodreads
Nothing is as it seems in this darkly romantic tale of infatuation and possession, inspired by Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca.

Becca was the perfect girlfriend: smart, gorgeous, and loved by everyone at New England’s premier boarding school, Thorn Abbey. But Becca’s dead. And her boyfriend, Max, can’t get over his loss.

Then Tess transfers to Thorn Abbey. She’s shy, insecure, and ordinary—everything that Becca wasn’t. And despite her roommate’s warnings, she falls for brooding Max.

Now Max finally has a reason to move on. Except it won’t be easy. Because Becca may be gone, but she’s not quite ready to let him go…


Though I was forced to read 'Rebecca' for Highschool English, I really enjoyed it. Read it more than once actually.  It was really no surprise that I jumped on this novel inspired by 'Rebecca'. I have been on a YA and NA binge lately, and this sounded perfect!

All the characters are complimentary and pleasantly comparable to the original characters in the classic that I so thoroughly enjoyed. It had a fun YA atmosphere, yet it oozed with the gothic feel and creepiness that I was hoping for.  Though predictable, the suspense build up was executed so well that it had my heart racing.

The ending upset and irked me. This review is spoiler free, so I will not go into any details. Suffice it to say it left the hopeless romantic in me completely unsatisfied, though for some readers, it may just be an extension of the dark tone of this story.




Title: Panic
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Publisher:
Atheneum Books for Young Readers  
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Source: Publisher
Purchase: Amazon/The Book Depository

Add to Goodreads
This gripping and chillingly realistic novel from New York Times bestselling author Sharon Draper shows that all it takes is one bad decision for everything to change.

Diamond knows not to get into a car with a stranger.

But what if the stranger is well-dressed and handsome? On his way to meet his wife and daughter? And casting a movie that very night—a movie in need of a star dancer? What then?

Then Diamond might make the wrong decision.

It’s a nightmare come true: Diamond Landers has been kidnapped. She was at the mall with a friend, alone for only a few brief minutes—and now she’s being held captive, forced to endure horrors beyond what she ever could have dreamed, while her family and friends experience their own torments and wait desperately for any bit of news.

From New York Times bestselling author Sharon Draper, this is a riveting exploration of power: how quickly we can lose it—and how we can take it back.


Though the synopsis focuses on one storyline in particular, this novel had multiple plots going on at the same time and revolves around different characters. That being said, Diamond's awful predicament touched each of her friend's lives in some way, even if they were going through individual hardships of their own. I wasn't sure if I was going to connect with multiple characters, but surprisingly I did.

Full of suspense and difficult situations that make this book hard to put down, this book could have easily earned 3-3.5 stars from me.  However, it was ruined by the author's insistence of excessively using slang language in every conversation that these teenagers had with each other. This was incredibly grating as it didn't fit with these characters, and served no added purpose. Except to annoy me, that is.


2 comments:

  1. Thorn Abbey looks good. I'm glad that it was fun yet creepy. I love creepy books. I'm curious to find out what the ending was. Hm. You might just have prompted me to buy a book just to figure out what "spoilers" you couldn't reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love creepy books too, and I really enjoy YA as well. So this combo really worked for me.

      LOL If you decide to read this, I would be curious as to your thoughts on the ending.

      Thanks for stopping in Lizzy!

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...