Friday, August 23, 2013

Book Review - Love of Shadows, by Zoe Brooks



Title: Love of Shadows
Series: The Healer's Shadow Book 2 
Author: Zoe Brooks
Publisher: White Fox Books
Release Date: October 12, 2012
Source: Author
Purchase: Amazon 

Add to Goodreads

"I had always felt most alive, when I was healing. Without healing I was a tin top spinning out of kilter soon to catch the ground. It took all my energy to hold myself from skidding into chaos."

But in the city of Pharsis traditional women healers are banned from practicing and the penalty for breaking the law is death by hanging. After being arrested and interrogated twice Judith is careful to avoid suspicion, but then scarlet fever breaks over the city like a poisonous wave, leaving in its wake the small corpses of children. What will the young healer do?

Love of Shadows is the second novel in The Healer's Shadow trilogy, which began with Girl in the Glass, and follows the lives of Judith and her Shadow, Sarah. It is a study in grief, love and defiance.




I am ashamed of myself.

Truly ashamed.

Because when I read the first masterpiece, Girl in the Glass, I was truly blown away by how intense the story was. By how emotionally drained the author made me feel. How truly riveted and invested I was in the story, and in the characters, that I couldn't stop tears flowing, and I couldn't stop reading for the life of me.  

And it's taken me this long to read the next in the series.

Zoe Brooks is an author that continues to amaze me. I was skeptical that she could make this one as sensational as the first. After all, I have been there, done that! You can't shock me, Zoe Brooks! You can't make me cry any harder than in the first! 

Damnit...

I was wrong.

Anya's story continues. She changes her name to Judith, possibly hoping to purge from her past under her given and chosen names from before.  It seems like things have taken a turn for the better, and both her and her Shadow work and live contentedly.  That is, until her kind hearted employer and friend passes away from the illness that plagued her in the first novel.. and Judith's world comes crashing down again. 

You would think that she would have learned some lessons from the past. Yet Judith continues to choose the wrong men, who use her and abuse her. But finally, a worthwhile man comes along that could help her change her self-destructing ways. If she lets him.

My theory on the Shadows was correct, but with a mystical quality that I did not predict which made them all the more magical. You will have to read this series to figure that one out on your own. My lips are sealed. 

An easy 5 star novel for me. Zoe Brooks still holds her magic wand in weaving this story straight into my heart. I thought I couldn't cry harder than the first novel, but she had me in sobs over one particular incident that took me completely by surprise and shocked me. I read on to the conclusion of this book, hoping that it was all a mistake, but alas... the world isn't fair or kind in fiction either. My heart was broken, and then full of hope. My tear ducts got a work out, and yet my heart also soared with joy at the end of it all. 

Go read this series. Read it now.


Zoe Brooks
About the Author:

I am a British writer and poet. I spend half my life in a partly restored old farmhouse in the Czech Republic, where I write all my novels and poetry. I aim to write popular books, which have complex characters and themes that get under the reader's skin. My first novel Girl in The Glass is available on Amazon, along with my second Mother of Wolves and my long poem for voices Fool's Paradise



For more information and/or to connect with Zoe Brooks, please check out her website

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. So glad you liked it. Don't worry about the delay. With the third book in the trilogy due out next month, your timing is great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds amazing. I will have to get the first book in a few days when I can get a new Amazon Prime book. Thanks!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it!!! Let me know what you think when you get to it. Erin and I completely fell in love with this series, and the writer's style.

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...