Thursday, August 1, 2013

Random Reads - August Pick!




Random Reads is hosted by I'm Loving Books, and for a reader that has a list that is way too long, this meme is perfect. It helps me to pick out a novel in the list that may be sitting there forgotten for a long while.

This meme is pretty simple. The idea is to pick one random book (or more if you are ambitious) out of your Goodreads To-Read list (using Random.org) to read within the month. 

My July Random Read was Scarlet, by Marissa Meyer, the second novel in The Lunar Chronicles. I just made it for a July 31st review, which you can read here. After really enjoying Cinder, I was super excited to give Scarlet a read and it was enjoyable. I am really looking forward to the next installment, but will have to wait until 2014!!!!



 Moving on.....

What is my August pick? This one has been sitting around for a while and I was lucky enough to find out that a coworker had a copy. So I got it in my hot little hands, and looking forward to reading this story.





Add  to Goodreads

Book Blurb:
On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy. Yet when his daughter is born, he sees immediately that she has Down's Syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split-second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the baby away to an institution and never to reveal the secret. But Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the infant. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child herself. So begins this story that unfolds over a quarter of a century - in which these two families, ignorant of each other, are yet bound by the fateful decision made that long-ago winter night. Norah Henry, who knows only that her daughter died at birth, remains inconsolable; her grief weighs heavily on their marriage. And Paul, their son, raises himself as best he can, in a house grown cold with mourning. Meanwhile, Phoebe, the lost daughter, grows from a sunny child to a vibrant young woman whose mother loves her as fiercely as if she were her own.

Sounds interesting and completely different than what I have been reading lately. I am looking forward to knocking one more novel off that long TBR List!

If you are participating in the meme, definitely leave your link and August Pick in the comments. 

Happy reading everyone!

 

1 comment:

  1. I just finally got to my July Random Read yesterday too! Glad to see I'm not the only one cutting it close! :-) The Memory Keeper's Daughter sounds really interesting and heartbreaking - I'll be waiting to see what you think of it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...