Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review Quickies! - Wolf Dawn & OCD Love Story


Earlier this year I became a reading ninja! I digested one novel after the other, faster than I could review them. But I don't want these books to go forgotten, so I decided to do some quick reviews for the following two novels and catch up on my review list. 


14058714Title: Wolf Dawn
Series: Forsaken Worlds #1
Author: Susan Cartwright
Publisher: Hotspur
Release Date: October 26, 2012
Source: Author
Purchase: Amazon

Add to Goodreads

Ashton Chayton was born with a powerful gift, a unique inhuman ability. Orphaned, raised by the Red Wolves of Opan, captured and enslaved - he is now free and on the run. Unfortunately everybody wants Ashton. Admiral Jones will torture him to get the secret of his power. Lady Lindha feels he is "The One" as named in Temple prophecy. The influential Lord Andros just wants him dead.

Ashton only wants two things: revenge, and the Lady Lindha. If you had unique powers, wouldn't you use them to get what you want?




Science Fiction is not my forte. Yet the synopsis of this novel intrigued me. It felt more fantasy and I am definitely a fan of that.

This novel had so many amazing elements.  The genocide of a race with amazing abilities, Ashton's harrowing escape with his mother from their planet, and a villain that I couldn't even describe as remotely human due to his utter depravity should have enchanted me and kept me glued.

For the first third of the novel, it sure did. But it took me a longer time than usual to get through this novel. I had to put it down for a while and then get back to it so I could see how this story progressed.  It wasn't because it wasn't an exciting story, or written well. I just don't think I picked the right time to read it, as I didn't feel like I was in the right mood for it. I would actually read this a second time, when it's the right time.












13326677Title: OCD Love Story
Author: Corey Ann Haydu
Publisher:
Simon Pulse 

Release Date: July 23, 2013 
Source: Publisher
 Purchase: Amazon/The Book Depository
 
Add to Goodreads

When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he’s her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again.

But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can’t stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic... and has no idea Bea even exists. But Bea knows a lot about him. She spends a lot of time watching him. She has a journal full of notes. Some might even say she’s obsessed.

Bea tells herself she’s got it all under control. But this isn’t a choice, it’s a compulsion. The truth is, she’s breaking down...and she might end up breaking her own heart.




It was an interesting story about two likeable but troubled characters that just wanted to belong in a world where their ways of coping were not the 'norm'.  Bea's obsessive OCD behavior was heartbreaking, though to her, it was just how she got through the day. Bea was certainly unique, as most of these characters and their stories were, if slightly disturbing to me. I just simply can't imagine being a prisoner to my own mind and the psychological need to do certain things in order to function.

Another YA plotline that I could not ignore, even though my reading list was near impossible the month I read this. I couldn't resist it, and for what it's worth... It was a really fast read. 

Yet..... it didn't really wow me, nor was it very memorable to me. Though I don't doubt that many YA fans will fall in love with OCD Love Story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...