Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ittie Bitties! Short Story Reviews - Absorbed & Blood Apples





It's been awhile since we have had an Itty Bittie post. I took the opportunity to review my long Amazon library list and knocked two interesting shorties that grabbed my attention.



Title: Absorbed
Author: Penelope Crowe
Publisher: Blackbird
Release Date: October 5, 2011
Source: Amazon Purchase
Purchase: Amazon - Only $0.95 as of this post! 

Add to Goodreads
A mysterious gift is left on Violet's front doorstep. Her abusive boyfriend is not happy about this at all. The gift brings out very different sides of Violet and her boyfriend, Mick, and neither of them will ever be the same.  Absorbed is a 16 page short story you do NOT want to read to the kids.


A freebie that I picked up on Amazon.com, this was a short story with a 'Twilight Zone' kind of feel.

A mysterious, and exquisitely wrapped package appears on Violet's doorstep. Inside is a gorgeous and unusual necklace. No clue as to who the sender is. The note that came with it was cryptic and of no known meaning to Violet.

But the moment Violet puts the necklace on, something in her changes. Where she was one meek and (I'm sorry to say) somewhat pathetic when it came to her abusive boyfriend Mick, now she is a pretty scary b*tch! Much to Mick's confusion, she deals with his abusive mouth in a pretty ironic way.

Enjoyed the writing style, and Victoria's character really came to life for me even though this was a pretty short little tale. Though I wish there was more page time invested into the mystery of the necklace itself, it was a pretty interesting, if dark, short story. 



 
Title: Blood Apples
Series: Grimm Diaries Prequel #6
Author: Cameron Jace
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: November 6, 2012
Source: Amazon Purchase
Purchase: Amazon - Collection is FREE for a limited time!
In this short diary, Prince Charming tells how Snow White was really killed -- or was she? -- and how he came to meet Rapunzel's and Jack the Beanstalk. Is it true that he really knows who wrote the original fairy tales and handed them over to the Brothers Grimm? And more importantly, Prince Charming explains why apples are red.



As of this dated post, the prequel series was FREE on Amazon.com. Click the Purchase link above. Please make sure you verify the price before purchasing it, as it could be a limited time Free promotion.

After reading 'Mary Mary Quite Contrary' I did state that I was done with the series. So maybe the folks that may keep up with my reviews may ask why did I choose to continue after all?

Well... I had downloaded this installment to my Kindle, and since I know that they are quick reads I thought I would give it a go. But alas.... I was disappointed. This story did not, in fact, redeem the short series after all for me.

Told from Prince Charming's POV, this story jumped all over the place. I found myself thinking, as I read the Prince's thoughts, that he may be in need of some medication to help him focus. He made me dizzy. He jumped from one subject to the other at lightning speed.

Characters like Jack (as in Jack and the Beanstalk) made this a little more focused and slightly more interesting, but this story just incorporated way too much, too fast, with not enough page time for me to fully appreciate and absorb the sequence of events.

Gorgeous eye-popping covers, but its contents just didn't appeal. Though this series as a whole has so much potential and imagination, the tone of it continues to throw me off, and unfortunately, also turn me off.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that the Cameron Jace series is disappointing. I'd had my eye out on that one for awhile and I'm reviewing a Jace novel (in a different series) in January (or maybe it's February?). Hopefully this other series is better!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin reviewed another novel from Cameron Jace, and she enjoyed it. I think the prequels were released way before they were ready for an audience, though looking at the ratings, I think my opinions are in the minority on these ones. The series was free on Amazon at the time of the post, so if you are interested, you have the chance to read them for free.

      Lily

      Delete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...