Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Random Read Review - In the Window Room, by Steven J. Carroll




 

This was my Random Read pick for the month of December.  I had won this novella on Goodreads.com and I greeted the random pick with some trepidation.  Co-blogger Erin had borrowed it and didn't have great things to say, but I wanted to give this a chance, since I was lucky to win it.  Though I did read it some days ago, I have been lazy with setting up posts. I blame it on the chaotic pace of the holidays. Curious to see whether I agree with Erin's opinion?



Title: In the Window Room
Series: The Histories of Earth #1
Author: Steven J. Carroll
Published Date: August 19, 2011
Publisher: Globe Light Press
Source: Goodreads Win

In the Window Room is a story about a young girl, Delany Calbefur, who's caused some trouble one fall, while she attended the Mayfield School for Girls. And she, as a punishment then, is made to leave the dormitory, and is forced to stay by herself in an old abandoned home on the outskirts of the school grounds. This story is about the dangerous and mysterious adventures she found there.

There are many... very secret, mysterious places in our world. Yet some of which, that hold no other foreseeable worth except that they are hidden, and those, by my judgement, should remain as such. However, there are certain other places, which if one can find them, that are both mysterious and immeasurably valuable. And it is of this latter kind that our story is concerned.

More specifically, the room that Delany Calbefur found, hidden away in the undiscovered corner of an old house, one fall while she attended the Mayfield School for Girls, and the story of her adventures there is a tale that well deserves retelling. And so, within the pages of this book, I shall try my best at it.
Purchase @ Amazon / Book Depository




This novella was almost a DNF. But I stuck it out and tried to enjoy the actual adventure in this novel. Unfortunately it was constantly interrupted by the writer's thoughts in parentheses, that in my opinion, did not enhance the story and served only to annoy.  It completely interrupted the flow of the plot so it was hard to get fully immersed into the story and its characters. 

In order to try to enjoy this, I began to ignore the useless commentary. The story then began to flow a little better, even though I was still unconnected to any characters or the plot.  But at least I was able to kind of 'get into' the tale that was being woven through the pages of this book.  It had an "Alice in Wonderland" type of feel that I liked, and characters (some not human) that were definitely interesting.  Sadly, I still felt a sense of relief when the book ended.

I didn't hate it, but it definitely was not written in a way that appealed to me.  I wouldn't qualify this as a children's book either... Maybe more geared for a pre-teen audience. If this novella had a serious rewrite, and a lot of the internal commentary either written as part of the plot flow, or eliminated altogether, I may have been inclined to continue the series.




:
About this Author

Twitter Facebook

Steven J Carroll is the author of In the Window Room and The Road to Jericho. For ten years, he has been an indie songwriter.

In 2011, after being inspired by fellow SoCal author Toby Hoff, Steven J Carroll began to write a book of his own. Which became In the Window Room, a novel about the adventures of young troublemaker, and the fantastic journey she finds in a mysterious old house.

His second novel, The Road to Jericho, is on sale now. Read a sample

A Prince of Earth (The Histories of Earth #2) is on sale now, and All the Worlds of Men (The Histories of Earth #3) will be released this month.

Steven currently lives in Southern California with his wife, Breanna.

Listen to his discography on iTunes:
Steve Carroll on iTunes

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like an enjoyable writing style. Sorry your Random Read didn't work out for you this month!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...