Thursday, October 15, 2015

Book Review - What the Night Knows, by Dean Koontz








https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20878454-see-through-me
 
In the late summer of a long ago year, a killer arrived in a small city. His name was Alton Turner Blackwood, and in the space of a few months he brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he himself was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy.

Half a continent away and two decades later, someone is murdering families again, recreating in detail Blackwood’s crimes. Homicide detective John Calvino is certain that his own family—his wife and three children—will be targets in the fourth crime, just as his parents and sisters were victims on that distant night when he was fourteen and killed their slayer.

As a detective, John is a man of reason who deals in cold facts. But an extraordinary experience convinces him that sometimes death is not a one-way journey, that sometimes the dead return.


Purchase Links: Amazon / The Book Depository


My Review: 

Ok, there is no better month to get into a creepy Dean Koontz novel than October. I nabbed a copy from one of my friends, when I reviewed her bookshelf and realized that I hadn't read this one yet. 

I was excited but cautious not to expect too much. Honestly, I have been disappointed with the latest Koontz novels that I have read, and took a break from him. But I could not help but feel a little excited that this novel may just change that around.

So the verdict?

Well... it was certainly creepy, and I have to admit, darker than I expected.  The idea of a notorious, incredibly evil and sadistic killer coming back from the dead to keep a promise he made with his last breath, is certainly creepy. Not to mention, having him being able to travel through mirrors just gives me the shivers. 

The plot was fast paced, and it certainly made my heart beat faster. But again, here comes the common complaint I have had with his novels - the ending just didn't do it for me! Had it been a bit more believable, this would have been a 4 star review. But unfortunately, Koontz again jumped the shark on how to end this baby... so 'What the Night Knows' gets 

Check it out though if you are a Koontz fan. You may enjoy the ending better than I did. Besides that, it was an excellent read.

Happy Reading!



Acknowledged as "America's most popular suspense novelist" (Rolling Stone) and as one of today's most celebrated and successful writers, Dean Ray Koontz has earned the devotion of millions of readers around the world and the praise of critics everywhere for tales of character, mystery, and adventure that strike to the core of what it means to be human.

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the names Leigh Nichols, Brian Coffey, David Axton, Owen West, Deanna Dwyer and Aaron Wolfe.

Dean lives in Southern California with his wife, Gerda, their golden retriever, Anna, and the enduring spirit of their golden, Trixie.

ASHLEY BELL arrives January 2016.

SAINT ODD is now available!Facebook: Facebook.com/DeanKoontzOfficial
Twitter: @DeanKoontz
Website: DeanKoontz.com

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this. Koontz is one of my favorite authos and this book is sitting on my nightstand calling to me.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...