Friday, April 14, 2017

Let's Chat - Reading with a Newborn. The Impossible Task?




Ahhhh... Life with a newborn babe....

There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t have a book on the go, or think about reading, or read – period. And once my sweet boy, Grayson, was born, it became very clear that getting in my daily dose of reading could potentially be a bigger challenge than I anticipated. 



Yup it sure did seem like an impossible task!

Maybe not so much because I had to be with him 24/7; after all, all this kid did was sleep the first 2 weeks of his life in the outside world, but I couldn’t stop looking at him for a second! He was just so amazingly entertaining and beautiful, and I could not take my eyes off of him. But eventually, I began to yearn to be that voracious reader again. 


At that point, he was increasingly more active and needing more attention. Or I needed to find rest where I could due to lack of sleep over his crying fits as he struggled with reflux and colic. Or I needed to take that short nap time of his to wash some dishes, do some laundry, make some food (and EAT IT), or sanitize bottles and pump parts…. Sigh…. Exhausting and never ending. Where to fit in that reading time??


Whenever I could!


When he napped on my legs after a good round of burping and tooting!





While he feeds! That’s at least a good 30 minutes and I am not going anywhere. Longer if he is cluster feeding in the evening.


And....


When it’s Daddy and Grayson time! Means Mommy has time for her book! Yay Daddy, Thank You!




Or just before my bedtime, as long as Grayson goes to sleep on schedule. I may fit in a mug of calming Chamomile tea, my pillow, Kindle and ME. 




Sigh. So nice.




So it's really not 'Mission Impossible'. It really CAN be done.

Any mommy readers out there finding time to pick up the book they have been meaning to read for weeks/months? Tell us how you get some reading time in!

Happy Reading!


 This post was linked to the following 2017 Challenge. To join in, or read some other discussion posts, click on the below banner.

https://feedyourfictionaddiction.com/2016/12/2017-book-blog-discussion-challenge-sign.html

3 comments:

  1. I still remember having to squeeze in time to read. When we went for our daily walk I put my e-reader on the canopy of the stroller and read as I walked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin never thought of that! LOL Desperate times call for desperate measures haha!

      Delete
  2. I remember those days. Unfortunately, the REALLY challenging reading days are still to come. Just wait until you have a toddler and you can't take your eyes off him for minute! LOL! Just make sure that no matter what stage of life you're in, you manage to get some "me-time."

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...