Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Review - Cobweb Bride, by Vera Nazarian


Many are called...
She alone can save the world and become Death's bride.

Cobweb Bride is a history-flavored fantasy novel with romantic elements of the Persephone myth, about Death's ultimatum to the world.

What if you killed someone and then fell in love with them?

In an alternate Renaissance world, somewhere in an imaginary "pocket" of Europe called the Kingdom of Lethe, Death comes, in the form of a grim Spaniard, to claim his Bride. Until she is found, in a single time-stopping moment all dying stops. There is no relief for the mortally wounded and the terminally ill....

Covered in white cobwebs of a thousand snow spiders she lies in the darkness... Her skin is cold as snow... Her eyes frozen... Her gaze, fiercely alive...

While kings and emperors send expeditions to search for a suitable Bride for Death, armies of the undead wage an endless war... A black knight roams the forest at the command of his undead father ... Spies and political treacheries abound at the imperial Silver Court.... Murdered lovers find themselves locked in the realm of the living...

Look closer — through the cobweb filaments of her hair and along each strand shine stars...

And one small village girl, Percy—an unwanted, ungainly middle daughter—is faced with the responsibility of granting her dying grandmother the desperate release she needs.

As a result, Percy joins the crowds of other young women of the land in a desperate quest to Death's own mysterious holding in the deepest forests of the North...

And everyone is trying to stop her.


Purchase from Amazon here. (FREE as of date this post was written)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25369192-shtum




Ok... 





Seriously? I have all these feels!!

This story was AWESOME in soooo many ways.

But the weird part is, as much as I wanted to read this initially, it took me FOREVER to finally start reading it. As in... months. Why did it take me so damn long to pick this up?? 

In what feels like ages ago, I read the description for this novel. Not even sure how I came across it, to be honest with you.  I was certainly very intrigued. Death wants a wife, and until he gets one, nothing can die (regardless of their current physical state – ya… think about it… highly disturbing possibilities here!). Anyway… what’s not to like?? So when I got the opportunity to get this through Netgalley, I was so very much excited! I promptly downloaded the novel onto my tablet… where it remained for months….. And why do you ask? 

The cover.

I know… I know… How very shallow of me.




I knew I wanted to read it, but the cover didn’t call to me. As the months passed I forgot about the book description (one unfortunate aspect of an e-reader is you can’t flip the book for the description and be reminded of why you wanted to read it so much in the first place), and when I came across the cover in my ever growing list, I would say… “Oh yeah! I want to read this one… looks too ‘renaissancy’… not in the mood for that genre right now…”

Finally, one day I thought… I’ve had this for a while, let me start it to see how it is… and I.could.not.put.this.down.

Excellent story. 

Fantastic plot flow and character development. A few storylines going on parallel to each other, before our main characters come together at last to continue the story/quest, but it flows so well, it's seamless, and not at all confusing. 

Love the characters because they are so fleshy and alive in my mind. Percy is undeniably my favorite, being so clearly the underdog character in this story – mistreated by her own mother, feels plain (maybe even ugly) and made to feel worthless… yet she develops into such a warrior in this story. Love that! She alone is fantastic, but there are so many great characters that just add so much to this story, but I was also kept very riveted by the storyline itself. Especially once Death stopped its work, and people - or animals, or any living thing really -  could no longer die regardless of their state… 

 Think about it. You are off in a war and get pelted with arrows, or sword through the belly… Can’t die! Butchered pig, chicken or turkey… Can’t die!
 


Gross and disturbing I tell ya!

The imagery was absolutely awful… and you can’t help but hope that Death finds/chooses his bride, so that everything can be put right again, for the sake of all living things in limbo.


If this novel doesn’t give you nightmares, it sure will keep your interest and on the edge of your seat. This was EXCELLENT storytelling and I am really looking forward to continuing the story into the next book.  I certainly will not be waiting very long before opening that one up though. THAT is a promise!! 

This is an easy




Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...