Thursday, May 4, 2017

A Stolen Life, By Jaycee Dugard



In the summer of June of 1991, I was a normal kid. I did normal things. I had friends and a mother that loved me. I was just like you. Until the day my life was stolen.

For eighteen years I was a prisoner. I was an object for someone to use and abuse. For eighteen years I was not allowed to speak my own name. I became a mother and was forced to be a sister. For eighteen years I survived an impossible situation.

On August 26, 2009, I took my name back. My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard. I don’t think of myself as a victim, I simply survived an intolerable situation.
A Stolen Life is my story—in my own words, in my own way, exactly as I remember it.




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11330361-a-stolen-life?ac=1&from_search=true



Okay, so I was really looking forward to reading this book... a true survival story can always capture me. The book started off great, a small back story on what happened in her life the morning before the kidnapping... then it goes right into the "good stuff". The beginning is somewhat graphic/disturbing. However she broke up the disturbing parts with a some reflection, which gave you a nice break in between certain points. These reflections gave a amazing perspective into how she felt while writing those certain pages from the book. Which my mind was always curious about.

I liked that she threw in pictures throughout the book. It made for a even more dramatic read. Seeing the innocent face of the child who had all of these horrible things done to her made me feel even more emotion. She also put in her "cat diary"( what was happening with the cat she has while being held captive), and her own personal journal from when she was being held captive by Philip & Nancy. These journal entries were a nice touch at first but I felt, especially about the cat diary, that these went on a little too long. It really just got boring after a while.

Certain parts of this book had me screaming in my head, how in the world people didn't see all this happening made me very angry. Now the part of the book that tells about her rescue was less dramatic then I had expected. I was expecting to feel so much emotion and for there to be this big bomb that explodes. The ending was very drawn out and way too long... she could've cut a lot of that out and you wouldn't have missed it.








This book gets a three star review from me...it gave too much in certain points and lacked detail at others. But in the end I still cried, like a baby, when she finally got to see her mom, and then cried again while reading her touching acknowledgements. All in all it was a good book and I would recommend reading it... as long as you can handle the parts written about the abuse.















No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...