Monday, May 1, 2017

Autism Goes to School, by Sharon A Mitchell



After suddenly receiving custody of his five year old son, Ben must learn how to be a dad. That fact that he'd even fathered a child was news to him. Not only does this mean restructuring his sixty-hour work week and becoming responsible for another human being, but also Kyle has autism.
Enter the school system. Under the guidance (and bullying) of a gifted teacher, Ben and Kyle take tentative steps to becoming father and son.


Teacher Melanie Nicols sees Ben as a dead beat dad, but grudgingly comes to admire how he hangs in, determined to learn for his son’s sake. Her admiration grows to more as father and some come to rely on Melanie being a part of their lives.


Purchase from Amazon here.
Purchase from Kobo here.
Purchase from the Book Depository here.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18873789-autism-goes-to-school?from_search=true



Ummmm...what did I just read???



I found this book for free (thankfully!) on the Kobo site. It peaked my interest because it was about a child who has Autism,  which you all know is one of my passions.  As with every book I have interest in, I looked on goodreads to see what the average rating was, and took a little peak at some of the reviews.  The people who rated and reviewed this book was either a family member/friend of the author, or this was the first book they ever picked up.

I thought I could look past the title of the book, but it turns out I couldn't.  I despise when someone labels a person as a disability.  Why did this book have to be called AUTISM goes to school??  The boys name is Kyle!!!  I found this offensive and unnecessary.  Although it really bothered me, this is not the reason the book failed.

It's so disappointing, the storyline had so much potential!  A successful business man becomes a Father to a 5 year old boy who has autism overnight.  He is lost, there is so much to explore here...through both the father and sons eyes.  The story fell flat to say the least. 

I think it actually could have made for a stellar short story.  The characters were interesting, well developed and the medical aspect to the story was true.  Mitchell did a great job depicting the mannerisms of a 5 year old who has autism.  The run on sentences drove me insane and paragraphs were repeated 2 or 3 times throughout the book.  It was unnecessary and likely could have ended the novel 60 pages earlier.

I think the worst thing about the novel was that you couldn't tell it had been edited.  There were SO MANY grammatical and spelling errors.  It drove me insane!!  At one point in the book the main female character was called by a completely different name. 

Can you guess what my rating is??



It truly blows my mind to think that there are three more books in this series.  I sure hope the writing and editing gets better as they go on.  I certainly wont be reading them to find out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...