Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Review - Incanta Soul-Catcher, by Avie Adams



Darkness rules her life. A pitiless man wants her body. A Daemon craves her heart.

Cytriah is a talented soul-catcher – her songs can enslave souls in dead bodies.
It’s not a gift, or a curse. It’s what’s expected of girls born on Daemon-controlled Malvaar Island, where failure is punishable with the worst any woman can fear. Whilst Cytriah strives to join the elite of soul-catchers, a chilling secret from her past rips her life apart. Trapped between dangerous men and thrust into a struggle to survive, she’s left with one choice: to pact with a Daemon.

It is forbidden.

And it may bring her something far worse than death…
 








https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25369192-shtum 

I have to admit that when I first started this novel, I became skeptical that I would get into it. The scenery is strange, the terminology alien, and what was happening in the first scene odd. I struggled a little with the imagery, but because there was immediate conflict, I was intrigued to continue on into this alien landscape and odd cast of characters. 

It did not take long to become completely invested in Cytriah's story. 

Malvaar island is a harsh place, and it was clear that most of the people living in this place had fairly harsh, dog-eat-dog lives.  'Friends' betray each other without a blink of an eye if it is to their advantage, lives destroyed if there is disobedience, questioning or if you so much as breathe a thought that things are not as they seem. Extreme risks are taken to save their skin from abusive, horrible fates, exactly the kind of scary place Cytriah finds herself very early on in the story.

Surprisingly, my most favorite part of this novel was Cytriah and Amond's relationship. In starting this story, never did I think that I would actually come to really like Amond, nevermind the turn their relationship took. The build up in sexual tension between the two was flawless, and perfectly executed. I found myself holding my breath a few times during scenes between these two, the tension and emotion was so tangible, the consequences of discovery so harsh.

I was itching for a great fantasy novel this year, and I got it with Incanta. This dark novel quickly became one of my favorite novels of the year, and I can honestly say that I am still surprised by that! I am very much looking forward to continuing this series. 



As of the date of this review, this novel is FREE on Amazon. If you are looking for something original, dark and intriguing, do give this series a try. 

Happy Reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...