Friday, September 8, 2017

Review - The Rules, by Stacey Kade




1. Never trust anyone.
2. Remember they are always searching.
3. Don’t get involved.
4. Keep your head down.
5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…
 
 



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25369192-shtum





 

I liked it.
 
I mean... I liked it...
 
But as I sit here and try to write a review on this novel... I am a little blank... Because I am struggling to remember details about this novel. 
 
Probably why this one only got 3 stars from me. Which is not a bad rating.. but also doesn't indicate that this one was a home run either.
 
It was enjoyable. I looked forward to picking it up to read the next few chapters. But it is already getting lost in the memory banks of my memory reserved for the stories I have read over the few decades that I have been alive and reading. I am getting details confused with other books that I have read.  It is taking me a while to recall scenes and characters from this book.
 
So as cool as this story sounds, and as cool as it was while reading it... well... it's also a little forgettable.  I can't explain it. I even feel a little sorry about the fact that I can't quite put my finger on it either... Except to say that I do recall that I wished there was more depth to Ariane's (the alien/human hybrid) story and the program that created her. Or even something more original to her powers than some "Carrie" like outbursts. Instead it just felt like your usual YA forbidden girl/boy romance, with a twist that the girl in this case, wasn't completely human. It was a little predictable, and too focused on high school drama than I wished - I thought it had potential to go a different route completely. Overall, I think the plot lacked the level of depth I had envisioned this would have.

Despite all of this, it was a fast summer read, and it had a good pace. There was enough to invest in the characters and plot to keep me interested enough to keep reading, and even looking forward to picking up the book. But I should probably add it to my list now or I will likely forget.
 
 
 

Happy Reading!



 

1 comment:

  1. I have books like this too---where you LIKED it, but none of the details stick with you. Doesn't mean it's a bad book necessarily, but not the best either.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you so don't be shy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...